Monday, April 27, 2009

Celebrating small steps

You know how in elementary school, when you did a good job and the teacher would tell you to pat your back, well I am patting my own back tonight. For the first time in a long time I have felt in control of my home and my life! I straightened up yesterday before Tammy, Meg and Bri came over, so when I woke up this morning there wasn't an overwhelming mess. I got Brooke set up with a glass of milk while I fed Maddux. When he was done he played on the play mat while I made some pancakes. After we finished eating we played a little bit and then laid down for a nap. We woke up around noon so Matt fed Maddux while I made some lunch, for the first time in a long time we ate at the table as a family. What a difference this makes, Brooke is much more calm. Afterwards I unloaded the dishwasher from the night before and washed what was in the sink. Brooke and I read some books while Matt played some video games then it was time for the kids and Matt to take an afternoon nap. I relaxed while the house was quiet. Maddux didn't sleep long but I was still able to check my e-mail and pay bills with him in my lap. When Brooke and Matt woke up I got started on dinner. Brooke helped me pour the can of peas into the pot and stir the potatoes. She has become quite the happy helper in the kitchen. She even loves helping unload the dishwasher, her job is to put away all the Tupperware and hand me the silverware. While everything was cooking Brooke and I sat at the table and played with stickers, Matt and Maddux had male bonding time. We sat at the table again for dinner and when we were done Matt took the kids into the living room while I did the dinner dishes. I finished just in time to watch our shows at 7. I got some laundry folded while we were sitting there. Afterwards Matt gave Brooke a bath while I picked up her room. After she went to bed Matt and I enjoyed a bowl of ice cream with each other and I fed Maddux. He just laid down with his daddy, I have to wake Matt soon so he can go to work. I just felt like everything worked today. I know it can't be perfect everyday but my goal is to have more days like this one. I especially enjoyed our meals at the table instead of in front of the tv. We talked with each other and I wasn't caught up on a tv show when we finished so it was easier to get the dishes done right away. I still got a 2 hour nap in the morning and watched my favorite shows this evening. I am just proud of myself and Matt for working together to get stuff done. Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to write everything down so I could show myself how productive my day was so I will keep it going. Hope your day was as enjoyable!

3 comments:

Fonda said...

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? Congratulations on your productive day. I have realized how rarely we eat together at the table, so I have intentionally served dinner at the table the last two nights and it has been nice to just sit and spend time together like we used to do when you and Meagan were at home. Stay in today and keep dry. I am siting here watching all the flooding on tv. We are okay for now...but can't get to work. So, I will answer the phones from home this morning.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I also love it when we eat as a family. It makes such a difference for all of us. There is bonding and Colton actually eats better too. We never ate as a family growing up so it is something that I have always wanted to make sure that we do. Glad yal got some family and husband/wife bonding time!

August said...

Bravo Kelli! I hope you have more days like this.