Sunday, September 9, 2012

To Weigh Or Not To Weigh???

That is the question!

Today Elliot officially turned one month old (time is going by way too quickly in my opinion!). As a "gift" to "celebrate", my mother-in-law brought me a scale. Now this wasn't to be mean. She wanted to see how much Elliot weighed yesterday and I didn't have a scale, so she brought me her extra one. The only thing is that we have not owned a scale since I was pregnant with Maddux. I decided when he was born that I would not be a slave to the numbers anymore and threw it in the Goodwill box. Fast forward three and a half years and here I am, face to face with my old arch enemy, and he is harder to ignore than ever. This past pregnancy I found myself at my highest weight EVER and by a landslide! There is something about your third pregnancy and inching closer to 30 (and eating cookies and cakes everyday) that really did me over. Now I am not saying that I am not blessed with my dads amazing metabolism or that nursing hasn't helped me get a great start on shedding some of the extra weight, because I am blessed and it has helped, but I know it will take a little bit of work on my part to get back to "normal". Finding out what normal is will be the hard part. Can I expect to be in the same (or better) shape as before I had babies? Is it about that number or how I feel about myself? How much time is a reasonable amount of time to set goals for myself? Should I dump my new "friend" or embrace him? In all honesty, this is the first time in my life that I truly feel like I need to work at losing weight, and it sucks! I did step on the scale tonight to weigh myself with and without Elliot to see how much weight she has gained in the last month (she is 10.6 lbs by the way), but I don't really have any clear cut goals set yet. I do want to track my journey and progress though, so it is with insanity courage that I post these (hopefully) "before" pictures.


4-weeks after delivery



147lbs (16 lbs down from 40 weeks pregnant).


I would like to be able to wear jeans without an elastic band by the end of September. ( I technically have one pair, but they were purchased for my first trimester so they don't count!). And I would LOVE to be able to wear my favorite pair of jeans by my birthday, I just don't know how I am going to get there. I am struggling a bit with training myself to reach for the good calories to keep my milk supply up but also help me lose weight. I also have a major sweet tooth that I give into on a daily basis. I need to find a solution for those problems. Do you have any tips for losing weight or recipes for eating right??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I wouldn't worry with the scale so much. You will just become obsessed with numbers. If your clothes aren't fitting the way you want them to then start excersing a little more until you are in the size you want and look the way you feel comfortable. Don't worry about what other people say you should weigh. Sometimes I don't even know what I weigh. I went from a tight 12 to a size 6. Now my 6's are not as comfortable as they used to be so I need to be taking my own advice. ha ha. When my weight gets to where I don't like the way I look or if I have to go up a size, then I will do something. Until then, I really try not to worry too much.
Hope this helps.

P.S. Give yourself a break. You just had a baby 4 weeks ago. Enjoy being with your kids.

Rita